The French are known for many things, but they are especially known for their exquisite kitchen that made them famous throughout the world. Specific by many things, but always irresistible, French recipes are always tempting.
We particularly enjoy their pastries and baguettes which can be found in the few French bakeries in Skopje, but today we decided to make our own homemade baguettes so that we could compare them with the bought ones.
We have prepared them for many times by now and they always turn out delicious so we decided to share their recipe with you, our dear friends.
But, as many other times before, we didn’t want to be banal with some already well known recipe for baguettes, so we decided to experiment a little and make a far more healthier one, by using high quality and healthy graham flour that resulted with yet another delicacy coming from our kitchen, homemade baguettes, exceptional, crispy and irresistible, ideal for preparing sandwiches for yourselves and for your loved ones.
Have a great appetite and don’t be lazy, get to work and share your experience of making these baguettes, with us.
In addition we give you a few step by step photographs which will only assure you that it is not as difficult as it seems to make baguettes in home conditions. Be persistent, when the baguettes are ready and you sense their scent you will be happy with the decision you made to prepare exactly this recipe.
- 400 g whole wheat flour, type 950
- 400 g graham flour
- 500 ml lukewarm water
- 14 g dried yeast
- 2 tbs salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together water, sugar and yeast and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Add two types of flour and salt, and stir until all flour is absorbed. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let it rest until doubled in size, about one hour.
- After dough has risen, divide in 4 equal balls and shape each ball into a rectangle.
- Mark the half of the dough with your fingers and fold the long sides toward the middle. Do the same with the other side of the dough. The middle (a place where two sides are touching), press with your fingers to seal.
- Fold again one third of the rectangle into the middle, and press down along the edge to seal. Fold the other third into the middle, and press to seal. Repeat this step once again.
- Flip the baguette over, and with your hand, roll each piece into rope. Make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on baguette with a razor and lightly brush top with cool water.
- Line baking sheets with baking paper, place the baguette and cover them with wet towel. Leave them in a warm place to rise again (for around 30-45 minutes).
- Bake the baguettes in preheated oven at 200 degree C, for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are rich golden brown. For crunchier crust spray the baguettes and the oven with water. Cool before serving.